Tuesday 20 May 2014

“Meet the fashion stylist in me”

Some characteristics of a good fashion stylist

Good Organisation: Time management is key.. you are given deadlines constantly… some are far away and some are not.. you need to be able to manage your time well. you also need to be in one piece.. nothing says professionalism LOUDER than someone who turns up to a shoot/meeting and they are completely organised!!

Hard Skin: There is going to be moments when you feel down.. as you start-up in your profession you will find you are low on money.. you may find that doors are closed in your face.. you may find your work criticized or you may even have conflicts with clients… FOR ME.. criticism is something that builds me.. I love to be told where I can improve.. you HAVE to have HARD SKIN!! no softies.. this does not mean being a b*tch.. that will not get you very far.. but it means not letting one knock keep you on the floor.. have the ability to use the window if the door is closed!!




Energy:In my impression.. people in the fashion industry could possibly have the worst eating habits.. I sometimes have gone a DAY without eating because I am so busy!! but I have learnt to keep lil snacks on me that keep my energy boosted to the MAXX!! you need to have energy.. It keeps you on top of your game.. if you are really unhealthy and are not prepared to run to get yourself to a meeting on time.. then in my impression.. your NOT CUT OUT!! I have ran like Usain Bolt on some occasions.. My manager will be my witness LOL!! Some think stylist life is all glamourous.. IN FACT you are one of the hardest working people in the industry..
Trend Awareness: It’s nice to be able to dress.. some think this is all a stylist does.. But being Trend Aware and knowing what is ‘in’ on the current season and seasons to come is essential!! it keeps you on your ‘A’ Game.. know what is big this season.. make it your own.. pick your favourites.. and style it with your model/client in a way that is visually appealing.. especially to the CLIENT!! your Client.. wether it be a magazine a record Label.. or a man/woman you are personally styling.. get to know them… what they LOOK for.. Trends they like! etc.. For me I get to make what they want!
Fashion Visual Sense: This to depends on the Client.. if I was to style for Company Magazine.. it would NOT be the same as if I was to style for ID Magazine or Instyle… this again is knowing your client.. and having a good visual eye for the customer.. and spotting kinks and flaws… it’s no good doing a photo shoot and wasting a whole hour on shots with a belt twisted etc. it takes attention to detail.. and unfortunately.. this is not just on the clothes.. it’s the look as a WHOLE!! (you are the ribbon to a package)
Versatility: Having your signature way of styling is an important thing to have, but it is also very important to be versatile.. be able to style in different ways.. for a man.. for a woman.. beauty.. hair.. the wider your versatility stretches is the more work you are able to get…
Good networking/Communication skills: Talking to big companies or people could be daunting.. but to be honest.. you WILL get the hang of it.. lol… I like to talk to as much people as possible nowadays.. Getting to know people is important!! and most of all.. its important that people get to know the great person you are. good ‘people’ skills are good tools to stay professional.. and allows you to build relationships with people.. DO NOT CALL VOGUE and speak like Vicky Pollard!!
Open Minded: For me.. this is a wide-spread characteristic. be open-minded.. you are not always in control of everything.. I have found myself in a position where a member of the team on a shoot has a strong idea about what they visualized for the hair they had done..I was open-minded and tried what they said.. in fact.. it turned out better than what I had initially planned!! be open-minded.. you will work with people from different ages, genders, sexual preferences & races.. be open and ready to treat everyone equally.. if you don’t have the ability to be open-minded about basic things such as this.. I would tell you to consider.. ‘is this really for you?’ …turn back and think again..
Dedication: the nuuuumber 1 characteristic a good stylist has…
‘a goal is a dream with a deadline… but what good is a dream without determination?’

No comments:

Post a Comment